In a proactive effort to support and guide new AJU students starting in their first year itself, the IQAC cell of the university is starting ‘Student Mentorship Program’ with 2020 batch students, aiming at promoting academic success and well-being. The main objectives of ‘Student Mentorship Programme’ include:
- Retain new students by helping them to become more familiar with the AJU culture, and how to accomplish their studies.
- Help students grow and develop professionally as AJU students.
- Foster a cooperative network among the students by helping those meet and network with all Professors.
- Increase the flow of accurate and timely information about AJU resources available at campus.
- Contribute to student morale, motivation, and a sense of community.
- Create a culture that fosters creativity and innovative thinking.
The Programme enables selected faculty to serve as mentors and to remain in close and consistent contact with the students (batch of 30-40 each) throughout their period of study on campus. The students get a faculty mentor in the very first year itself, as a lot of fresh entrants, struggle with the volume of work involved in their first-year because it is different from the work they were used to at school. The mentors along with Dean / HOD and cooperation from other departments like Registrar’s office, Controller of examination office, Sports Department etc. emphasize in coordinating and providing support for academic success, identity development, emotional health, leadership development, belonging, and community consciousness.
Responsibilities of the Faculty mentor:
The mentor will perform the following functions. The list, of course, cannot be exclusive. A mentor can always do more for the benefit of the students.
- Meet the group of students at least twice a month.
- Continuously monitor, counsel, guide and motivate the students in all academic matters.
- Advise students regarding choice of electives, project, summer training etc.
- Contact parents/guardians if situation demands e.g. academic irregularities, negative behavioral changes and interpersonal relations, detrimental activities etc.
- Advise students in their career development/professional guidance.
- Maintain contact with the students even after their graduation.
- Intimate HOD and suggest if any administrative action is called for.
- Maintain a detailed progressive record of the student (format attached).
- Maintain a brief but clear record of all discussions with students.
The DEAN/HOD will:
- Allot mentors/faculty advisors to all the new students
- meet all mentors of his/her department at least once a month to review the proper implementation of the system
- advise mentors wherever necessary.
- initiate administrative action on a student when necessary.
- keep the head of the institute informed.
The University is emphasising towards enhancement of enhancing the institutional ambience to better serve the needs of an ever-changing and dynamic learning community. Effective mentoring begins with the faculty and depends on the healthy relationship between faculty and students. Department assigns faculties (acts as faculty advisors) for providing guidance for each year from admission till the graduation for the same batch.
The faculty advisors or mentors perform the following functions:
- To maintain personal details of the students including their address, contact numbers, overall academic performance and progress. It will help the mentor in monitoring the academic growth of the students.
- To advise the students regarding choice of electives, projects, summer training, etc.
- To counsel and motivate the students in all academic matters-direct or indirect.
- To guide the students in taking up extra academic and professional activities for value addition as a member of the society.
- To contact the parents/guardians of the students in case of their academic irregularities, behavioural changes, etc., through the Head of the Department or Institute.
- To advise the students in matters of their career
Type of Mentoring to be done:
- Operational Guidance – About rules and regulation and Know-how of the university
- Professional Guidance – regarding professional goals, selection of career, higher education.
- Career advancement – regarding self-employment opportunities, entrepreneurship development, morale, honesty and integrity required for career growth.
- Course work specific – regarding attendance and performance.
- Lab specific – regarding Do’s and Don’ts in the lab.