Department of Biotechnology, School of Health and Allied Sciences
Designation: Assistant Professor
Qualification: M.Sc. (Biotechnology) in 2009 from Pondicherry University, Puducherry, India
Ph.D. in 2017 from National Institute of Science Education and research, Odisha, India
Specialization: Molecular Microbiology
Colistin is a last resort antibiotic, used for the treatment of carbapenem resistant bacteria. From last two decade, due to excessive use of colistin, many gram negative bacteria developed resistance toward this antibiotic. My research interest is to determine the resistance mechanisms and clonality of colistin resistance gram negative bacteria, especially in Enterobacteriaceae.
Bacterial genome plasticity leads to the development of various drugs resistance mechanisms likes acquisition of resistance genes via horizontal genes transfer, enzymatic inactivation/modification of antibiotics via hydrolysis, group transfer and redox mechanism and increased mutagenesis in hypermutator strains. From last few decades, another means of drug tolerance has been described named as ‘persister cells formation’ where small subpopulation of bacteria survives exposure to lethal concentrations of antibiotics which were genetically susceptible to antibiotics and were responsible for chronic and recalcitrant clinical infections. Since, K. pneumoniae is of great clinical relevance having different mechanism of drug resistance and recurrent infection in nature, the persister cell formation in this organism had not been studied.
- Debi Prasad Mohapatraa, Nagen Kumar Debataa, Santosh Kumar Singh. Extensively drug-resistant and pan-drug resistant Gram-negative bacteria in a tertiary-care hospital in Eastern India: a 4 year retrospective study. Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance (Accepted). (IF-2.022)
- Minakshi Gupta, Asit Kumar Mishra, Santosh Kumar Singh. Cryptococcus laurentii fungemia in a low birth weight preterm neonate: India. Journal of Infection and Public Health (Accepted) (IF-2.11)
- Debi Prasad Mohapatra#, Santosh Kumar Singh#, Minu Sahoo#, Shashank Patole, Mitali Mishra, Nagen Kumar Debata and Harapriya Mohapatra. Retrospective study on clonal relationship of multidrug resistant Klebsiella indicates closed circulation and initiation of clonal divergence. (Journal of Medical Microbiology; Accepted, Feb 2018) (IF-2.1)
- Singh SK, Mishra M, Sahoo M, Patole S, Sahu S, Misra SR, Mohapatra H. (2017) Antibiotic resistance determinants and clonal relationships among multidrug-resistant isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae. Microb Pathog. 2017 Sep;110:31-36. (IF-2.009)
- Santosh Kumar Singh, Roseleen Ekka, Mitali Mishra, Harapriya Mohapatra. Association study of Multiple Antibiotic Resistance and Virulence: A strategy to assess extent of risk posed by bacterial population in aquatic environment. Environ Monit Assess (2017) 189:320. (IF-1.687)
- Santosh Kumar Singh#, Mitali Mishra#, Minu Sahoo#, Shashank Patole, Harapriya Mohapatra. Efflux mediated colistin resistance in diverse clones of Klebsiella pneumoniae from aquatic environment. Microbial Pathogenesis 102 (2017) 109e112. (IF-2.009)
- Santosh Kumar Singh, Minakshi Gupta. blaOXA-48 carrying clonal colistin resistant-carbapenem resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in neonate intensive care unit, India. Microbial Pathogenesis 100 (2016) 75e77. (IF-2.009)
- Santosh Kumar Singh, Kumari Seema, Minakshi Gupta. Detection of AmpC b-lactamase and adherence factors in uropathogenic Escherichia coli isolated from aged patients. Microbial Pathogenesis 100 (2016) 293e298. (IF-2.009)
- Bikash Chandra Behera, Himendra Yadav, Santosh Kumar Singh, Bijay Kumar Sethi, Rashmi Ranjan Mishra, Sony Kumari, Hrudayanath Thatoia. Alkaline phosphatase activity of a phosphatesolubilizing Alcaligenes faecalis, isolated from Mangrove soil. Biotechnology Research and Innovation (2017).
- C. Behera, H. Yadav, S.K. Singh, R.R. Mishra, B.K. Sethi, S.K. Dutta, H.N. Thatoi. Phosphate solubilization and acid phosphatase activity of Serratia sp. isolated from mangrove soil of Mahanadi river delta, Odisha, India. Journal of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (2017).
- Bikash Chandra Behera, Rashmi Ranjan Mishra, Santosh Kumar Singh, Sushil Kumar Dutta, Hrudayanath Thatoi. Cellulase from Bacillus licheniformis and Brucella sp. isolated from mangrove soils of Mahanadi river delta, Odisha, India. Biocatalysis and Biotransformation, 2016; Early Online: 1–10. (IF-0.836)
- Rajagopalan Saranathan, Pagal Sudhakar, R. Uma Karthika, Santosh Kumar Singh, P. Shashikala, Reba Kanungo, and K. Prashanth. Multiple drug resistant carbapenemases producing Acinetobacter baumannii isolates harbours multiple R-plasmids. Indian J Med Res. 2014 Aug; 140(2): 262–270. (IF-1.532)
- K Prashanth, K Singh, R Kanungo, S Sharma, P Shashikala, S Joshi, S Jayachandran. Correlations between genotyping and antibiograms of clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa from three different south Indian hospitals. Indian journal of medical microbiology. Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology, (2010) 28(2): 130-7. (IF-1.149)